A couple of days a week, I pick up my friend Meredith's children from their school and take them home for her. They attend private school (one that doesn't bus) and they get out about 30 minutes before Mere's school does. In exchange, we go over to her house every Wednesday night and she cooks dinner for us.
Tonight was crazy, though. I picked up Brandon, like normal, at 3:00 p.m. Headed to the boys' school and picked them up. Drove to the house for 20 minutes. Headed back out with all three boys to the private school and picked up the girls from their Volleyball practice. Then took all five kids to McDonald's for dinner. Since Meredith had to be in a meeting until late today and couldn't cook, she wanted to buy us dinner. She choose McDonald's so Liam could try going on the playplace there. He had never been and having three helpers and friends to play with him provided the opportunity to try it out.
Well, he had a blast:
Afterwards, me and the five kids headed to Meredith's house so I could drop them off. At that point, Meredith was almost home, so I decided to wait for her just to say "Hi." Saying "hi" took us 2 hours. :) The boys always love it there and it gives us a chance to talk and hang out for a bit.
When we did leave, it was dark out. Rarely do I drive at night because I have the boys home and in bed by that point. As we were driving home down a dark road, Liam asked me why there were lights on the floor. Not knowing what he was talking about, I told him I didn't know. So, in the sweetest little voice, he asked me, "Mama, did the stars fall out of the sky?"
Something about that question just melted my heart. I love that pure innocence he still has. It is such a fabulous reminder to appreciate and notice the little things in life...especially on the eve of such a tragic and life-changing day. It's rare that we stop to notice the small things that make life so magical...including how the reflectors on the road seem to sparkle and shine at night like stars.
It is also so comforting to be able to assure my son that, no, the stars did not fall out of the sky (they are just fine). It is a comfort to be able to assure him that he not need be worried about the dark because I am there to keep him safe. And it is such a comfort to be able to tell him that even though it is tough to have Daddy gone, his Daddy is making a difference and doing some really great things for some really good people.
Taylor...we are so proud of you and will be thinking of you tomorrow, as always. You are such an amazing role model for our sons and it is such a nice feeling to be able to tell them that you are truly working to keep us safe so days like September 11th do not happen again. And while I agree with Liam sometimes that "they gave you too much work", I know you are making a difference in the world and make a difference in our lives every day. We love you and miss you.
No comments:
Post a Comment