Friday, October 03, 2008

Happy Birthday, Sweet George

Relaxing at home

George, in some ways this is a very difficult post to write. A year ago today, you were born into not only our family, but the Army family. When you were just three months old, we said goodbye to Daddy and sent him off to war. It has made for a very difficult year in some ways with Daddy gone and often I feel that you are both blessed and cheated. Blessed because you will not remember this 15 months without Daddy. But cheated because you had much of your first year without Daddy and with a very tired and stressed out Mama. I'm not always sure that I have done the right things for you these past 12 months, but I am sure of this...Daddy and I love you so very very much and I wouldn't trade this year with you for anything.

It has been such a wonder to see you grow so much so quickly. You are already crawling at high speeds, cruising all over while holding onto things, drinking from a cup, and harassing your big brother. You say "more", "this", your own version of "dog" and babble "dada." You can wave bye bye, show touchdown, and send kisses in the air. You adore your brother like he is a God and want to do and have everything that he does and has. You are happy. Truly happy and content and I hope you keep that part of you. I hope you are able to hold onto that relaxing part of your nature.

Your Daddy will see you again in 7 days and it will be a wonder to see him react to all the changes that you have gone through. It will be awesome to watch you and Daddy get to know one another again. God willing, the coming year will bring your first steps, Daddy coming home, a move, and hopefully a christening. There are so many joys to come and I cannot wait to share all of them with you. I am loving that I am able to stay home with you now and thank your Daddy every chance I get for enabling us to do that. It is such a special time in your life and I don't want to miss a second.

Your first birthday was a bit stressful, but fun. Your brother had a difficult time sharing the limelight, but you took it with such stride and showed him that you will not always be willing to be pushed around. :) You enjoyed your first cupcake and first gifts tremendously. The firetruck that Liam gave you was an instant hit. I loved being able to spend today with you. It brought such a warmth to my heart. I love you, sweet George. Always have, always will. Happy birthday, baby boy.

Messy but happy

1 comment:

Taylor said...

I had so much fun with you at home Gi-Gi (how do you type that??) Cant wait to see you again in a few months... love you-- daddy :-)